Mobil T3 Bottom Dump Door Won't Open

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

topkote

Mobil T3 Bottom Dump Door Won't Open

Postby topkote » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey Folks,

As the subject says. I have a Mobil T3 with the bottom dump. The door for dumping is sticking shut. I know its likely got crap in the track but this is a new problem. Never had this before. Any suggestions on getting it freed up and what might be causing it?

Thanks.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Re: Mobil T3 Bottom Dump Door Won't Open

Postby Tom_in_CA » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Yes, here's some tips: Have a 2nd person operate the control to try to open and close ("rock") it. See if it's "trying" to move . Is it? If so, that means your hydraulic ram is working ok. If not, then stop right here, because that means you've got hydraulic ram issues. But if you see that the ram IS trying, then:

Have you tried goosing the gas/throttle pedal? Because that will ramp-up the power delivered to the hydraulic pump. Have you tried back and forth rocking attempt while goosing gas ? If still no go, then do this:

As someone is inside pushing back and forth, you go look underneath, and see which direction it's binding in. By that I mean you'll notice that it's going to try to shift (turn) one way, or the other, rather than perfectly straight back. Make note of the side that is binding, and do this: Get a bottle jack. Find a place to anchor it. Push the the edge that is binding, to get it started. Once you've got the hoper floor so it's not at a subtle angle (ie.: when it's "straight"), then it often-time finishes opening on its own.

Or if it has no apparent bind to one direction or another (just won't even the slightest inch, yet you know the ram IS working), then find a way to position the bottle jack (or two bottle jacks, one on each side) to push straight back even pressure. Again: once you free it up going back an inch, it will often finish on its own power. You can also accomplish this with come-along trucker winch cable pulleys, by anchoring it from behind the sweeper, hooking the hook on the the hopper door, and then winching to get that "inch" started.

Once you finally get it open by the above methods, then be sure that before you fill up with the next load, to pressure wash those tracks. Flood them with fire-hose pressure water or pressure-washer wand water, forced into the tracks where the door slides. Get it all washed out. Open/close/repeat all while washing. That'll free up whatever the caked on rocks and cr*p was boogering you up.

Then as you open and close after you've cleaned, see if it's trying to open and close at a subtle tilt. If so, that's going to bode poorly for future-such binds. You'll have to fix that (that's another post! haha), or risk future such binds.

topkote

Postby topkote » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:18 am

Thanks Tom .

I will give that a try.

Mike

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Postby Tom_in_CA » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:56 am

Ok, if it works, you owe me a 12-pack ! haha :)

topkote

Postby topkote » Thu May 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Tom,

I tried the pulling back on both sides of the hopper at the same time with 2 come-a-longs while activating the ram. No luck it really seems to be bound up. Tried pressure washing out the tracks as best I could still wont open the floor moves about 1/2 inch. I has about a half hopper of sand (winter sanding) in it now. It had stuck before I emptied it out by hand then greased the slides. Seemed to work fine for about 20 dumps. The stuff I've been sweeping is like fish tank gravel with a fine dust from the grinding of traffic over the winter. The ram is pushing hard enough so its flexing the area its mounted on the floor of the hopper and the mount where the piston hooks to the frame. I do notice that the sweeper feels like its buckeling when you work hopper door back and forth.

Whats my next best move?

Thanks,

Mike

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Postby Tom_in_CA » Sun May 04, 2014 10:18 am

Mike, the "binding" feel, and the fact you see it try to grunt 1/2" movement, tells me that your ram is working, and has sufficient power.

OK: regarding the 1/2" movement: did you do as I suggested and have a 2nd person operate it, while you crouch down low and observe? When you do that, make mental note of whether or not it's having a slight pull towards one way or another. Versus uniform 1/2" movement equal. If it tries to go catecorner even in the slightest, then here's what you do:

Rather than 2 come-alongs for equal pull back-wards, you want to only pull on the side which is resisting movement. Like to "straighten it back out", so-to-speak. And THEN do the both sides even pressure to pull it back.

If you're saying this problem repeats itself after 20 dumps, then that tells me it's more than just a season of dirt that got frozen in there via lack-of-use sitting. That tells me your dump track-slots must have a crimp or bend in them. The good news is, that there NO SHORTAGE of used 2TE3 and 2TE4 parts to choose from. Heck, I'll sell you some CHEAP off a few we're cannibalizing here. Just cover shipping and a token of time :) But back to your problem:

If the effort to get the door to go back exactly straight is not the issue, and since as you say, the ram IS trying, then the come-along trick should have worked. You might also try bottle-jacks to push outwards on it. I don't have a 2te3 or 2te4 pix here now, but seem to recall that you can anchor the back end of a bottle jack on a stationary part of the frame around the gutter broom assembly arm area. And then exert outward pressure. Either on the site resisting movement, or equal, with bottle jacks on both sides. Again, once you get it started (beyond that 1/2"), then the ram should be able to finish opening it on its own.

Or yet another option: Drive the sweeper so that you're backed up close to an object to serve as an anchor. Like a light-pole with concrete base, etc... Get a cable or chain wrapped around the pole. Then the other end hooked to the perpendicular fins of the bottom of your hopper door. Then you merely drive forward (away from the pole), while operating the ram to open it.

As an utter last resort, I can only think of hand-shoveling out the entire hopper full of debri, to take all the weight off the load. Or at least 1/2 or 1/3 of the load, then try again, etc... But that seems extreme, since weak rams don't seem to be the issue here.

Protect Environment
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Postby Protect Environment » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:10 pm

I could have some suggestions for you, but Tom said the best ways. So I think you should follow his suggestions.
Thanks.
highway sweeping

Return to “Street Sweepers”