Making workers work

Anything to do with getting and keeping customers.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

RoadCleaner

Making workers work

Postby RoadCleaner » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Hopefully, some of you guys that have been around for awhile can help me with some tips on how to retain quality employees. Lately, it seems as if some of our employees are starting to take off from work too often. Some of them do show up regularly, but they're just not productive enough.

My questions are the following:

How do you find new quality help?

How do you keep your employees happy other than pay?

Whats the range you pay them?

During your interview, no matter if it's a guy that walks up to you and asks if the company could use a hand or if its a formally scheduled interview, what kind of qualities do you look for that you can say have proven to help out in the long run?

I feel that finding diligent and reliable employees are the core components of a company's growth strategy.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Tom_in_CA » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:11 am

Roadcleaner, here in CA, we have a lot of first-generation hispanic immigrants. Generally speaking, they are harder working, grateful, respectful, etc... It's just in their culture. Contrast to American raised kids, who, like you observe, don't work as hard, don't want to get dirty, are demanding, etc.... Persons told me years ago here: "learn Spanish if you want good workers" and it's proved true for us :roll:

But if that's not an option in your state, I usually go by the past-jobs history of the persons applying. If they've had a string of jobs, none lasting for more than a few months or a year, (assuming they're not young 20s where it's expected that they're just starting careers) then that raises flags for me. If a person has good reasons for hopping job to job (factory closed, moved to another state, etc...) that's ok, as long as I can verify their stories. But if they jump job to job for no good reason, even if they say "voluntary quit" (as opposed to fired), I still reject them.

And watch out for gaps in the work record, where they might claim that for XX months or a year or two, that they didn't work. Often times I've found that these gaps are merely a bad work reference that they want to hide (or time they were in the pokey or whatever). Or to cover for missing dates, they may put down a job where it would be impossible to get a verifying reference. Like a defunct business where there's no one to confirm. I reject those too, which is unfortunate for those who really did work for a place that can no longer be proved. So if I don't see an un-broken proovable line of job sequence in their past, I reject them.

All in all, it takes about 4 or 5 tries to get 1 good employee who "sticks". We always have a trial period, where for several weeks or a month, I let them know that they, and us, will give it a "trial run". They will do mundane work at the shop (washing sweepers, sweep floors, etc...), so they can observe us, and we can observe them. THEN if it appears to be a fit, only then do we start training them on the sweepers.

RoadCleaner

Postby RoadCleaner » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks CA!

That was some good information from top to bottom. I guess now the only thing I need to be concerned with is my learning curve.

Return to “Customer Retention”