Hopper liners

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

Ben K
Forum Administrator

Postby Ben K » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Salt is a big problem by me. Even if you wash the truck every single day, the truck starts to show rust spots after the first winter.

mastersweep
Anti-Spam Number: 1

hopper liners<

Postby mastersweep » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Evening all! New here and must reply firstly to the BAD GRAMMAR!?
Learn to spell and type!! Makes for much easier and
believable information.
Polyurethane in a hopper? Just how long to you think
this might last? It wont be long and wont be worth the
trouble and expense. Why not go with stainless?
Heard Elgin is applying an industrial coating to steel
hoppers. At least they are on the right track!
The correct product applied properly will be far superior
to any petroleum/urethane based rubber sheeting.
My opinion, but many years spent in the industrial
coatings industry were informative and productive and
believe me, polyurethane coatings are structurally weak
and will break down quickly.
Why not stainless? More initially but much longer life.
Am I wrong? Somebody tell me I am mistaken!

Best of luck guys and good hunting!

Sweeperthane

Postby Sweeperthane » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:56 am

Mastersweep,
Regarding the Elgin "industrial coating" which you refer to as being "on the right track," I spoke with an Elgin representative and he told me that the coating is polyurethane based. In fact, I found this on the Elgin website:
"Our new LifeLiner system uses a proprietary polyurethane coating that is more wear resistant than stainless steel and extremely resistant to most chemicals," reports Brian Giles, Sweeper Products Manager at Elgin Sweeper. "The liner system is incredibly durable and will stand up to the most abrasive debris—and the smooth surface finish inside the hopper is extremely smooth and slick, which makes dumping and cleanup easier."

In my experience I've found that there are niches for different materials in different wear areas. In some cases, such as drag shoes, polyurethane and rubber offer a benefit of flexibility, non scarring, and non sparking. In the case of our transition sleeve, in our testing we were able to eliminate a Tampa contractors need to weekly patch or repair his transition tubes by offering a sleeve that lasted over 1,000 hours.

The cost of stainless today would make a stainless hopper very expensive. I would also think that it would be pretty heavy which would lead to higher fuel costs. Additionally, it would eventually wear. How would you repair it? My thoughts for a hopper liner, which I made public before Elgin released their new product, were to have sections that could be replaced as they wear and/or could be placed only in the high wear areas. I'm sure you could do the same with stainless, but at what cost, and what effort? Another benefit of urethane in this case is noise reduction, which may not be a huge factor in you market, but it is in some.

In recent years, the price of steel has been very volatile. The cost of rubber, in todays market, has also increased drastically. Our company sees weekly, even daily increases and some products have nearly tripled in price over the last two years. Additionally, the availability of rubber and steel adds to the overall expensive nature. Polyurethanes, on the other hand, have not been so negatively affected. Yes, the pricing has increased, but not nearly on the curve of rubber and steel.
Gregg Blair
Superior Engineered Elastomers

mastersweep

elgin likes urethane<

Postby mastersweep » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:31 am

Hi Gregg,

I appreciate the rapid response on this liner coating. Sounds
like Elgin has a new and improved urethane that they believe
is superior to other products.

However, I dont understand why they are not using a product
such as Seaguard industrial coatings, owned now by Sherwin-
Williams, coatings proven in marine environments on our ships
and bridges. These are both single and two step coatings at
reasonable cost, especially so in the smaller quantities needed
for the hoppers. What are they applying to the outside? Will
find out shortly.

Hope to have more info on this soon and will share it here as
I am only looking to be helpful, not negative. I actually was
about to purchase a new Elgin Crosswind j with a stainless
hopper, but yes weight and cost are considerations. Might be
better to coat their steel sided hoppers!

Thanks again,
Ron

Sweeperthane

Postby Sweeperthane » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Ron,
That Seaguard looks interesting. Frankly, I've never tested vinyl for abrasion characteristics and maybe I should. Cost may be an inhibiting factor, but I really don't know enough to say for sure.

I guess my goal back in 2005 was to find a way to line a hopper that may already be in service and not at the manufacturers level but if it would've led to that I would'nt have shyed away. I work with many of the OEMs on some level, but I enjoy working with the contractors trying to identify wear areas, testing and proving a product, and then taking it back to the OEM. I think the liner was an idea to help the contractor address specific wear areas, or line his whole hopper if necessary. I think once the hopper is used for a while, it may be next to impossible to prep the surface and allow any of these types of spray on or brush on chemicals to work. But, in using my liners, I really couldn't think of how to attach it either, short of drilling holes and bolting it in. There are some adhesives that will work with cured urethanes, but finding one to work in that environment could've been tough.

Thanks for the conversation.
Gregg Blair

Superior Engineered Elastomers

alex25
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Hopper liners

Postby alex25 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 pm

I think this sounds great. I am planning to try this one.

TheRoadCleaners
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Hopper liners

Postby TheRoadCleaners » Tue May 29, 2012 11:38 pm

I’ve heard that TIVAR UHMW-PE is a strong wear resistant material making it ideal for hopper liners. Every lining is custom designed to suit individual items of plant and can expand the working life considerably.

Return to “Air Sweepers”