Need information on a 1969 Mobile Broom.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

comsweep
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Need information on a 1969 Mobile Broom.

Postby comsweep » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Please help! We just got a 1969 Mobil Broom truck and I know nothing about them. This one has a problem with starting. (I think someone hooked up a cut off somewhere). Also I need to replace the broom and don't know how. PLEASE HELP. I'm ready to drive it off a cliff. We also just got 3 old Tymco 600, a Tymco 300 and some sort of flush truck. I will be needing information on these once I find out all the information and what is broke. Any information is helpful. Thank you in advance.

Robert

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:50 pm

Well robert, is the mobil a gas powered sweeper? if so is it a inline 6 ford?
Do you know what model it is?
If it is a gas/gas M-7 I can help. if not then someone else may take a stab at it.

comsweep

Thank-You

Postby comsweep » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:26 pm

Thank you Dwan. I will try to get over to it Friday and let you know.

Robert

comsweep

69 Mobile

Postby comsweep » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:56 am

Sorry Dwan I haven't been able to find any markings on it. I will keep looking for something on it. Sorry, I've just been really busy with building a mobile pressure washing truck and trying to fix our old flush truck.

Robert

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:16 pm

on the dash in front of the pasingers seat may be a data plate. if not are both motors gas? 6 cid in front and 4 cid in back? or is it diesel powered?

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

'69 Mobil

Postby Tom_in_CA » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:06 pm

The trouble will be, is Mobil-Athey went through several ownerships & incarnations. So it'll be impossible to track down any types of manuals, unless you found one in an owner's hands somewhere.

But a starting problem would be an issue for a regular automotive mechanic, me thinks. That wouldn't have anything to do with the sweeper itself. Maybe it has a murphy kill button somewhere?

One type of mechanic that might know about the older mobils, would be agricultural mechanics, who deal with harvesters and field equipment. Harvesters have elevators and such, and the older ones, would be chain drive/mechanical (pre hydraulic) like the old Mobils, I would think.

comsweep

Thank you

Postby comsweep » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:40 pm

Thanks to both of you. I am trying to get over to it this week. To much work not enough time. I do remeber that I was told that someone bypassed the Murphy Switch at one time. I just wish I knew how to get more hours out of the day.
I'll post here as soon as I find out more information.
Thanks again.

comsweep

This stupid Mobile Broom

Postby comsweep » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:04 am

OK I found out that it is a Mobile M-7. Both engines are gas. A 6 & A 4 I think. My brain was'nt working this morning. I also found out that the side brooms are bad, the rear broom needs to be replaced, ( it's a chain driven), and the kill switch is dead. Hopefully I can at least by pass the kill switch to see if the stupid thing even starts. It's been parked outside in a field for awhile. I also wrote down the information off the plate in the cab on the drivers side dash. It has a model number, serial number and both motors serial numbers.

Thanks again,

Robert
www.commercialsweepinginc.com

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:50 pm

Any machanic that works on ford motors should be abe get it running within an hour. You will need
fresh battery
fresh gas,
You may also need
condenser
starter
battery cables (ground, battery to starter solenoid, solenoid to starter.
12 gage jumper wire about 3 ft long
misc hand tools
and the basic knolage of how a carberated 6 cilinder ford motor works.

Caution working under the hood should only be done if you know what you are doing as serious injury or death may occure!!

Good luck and keep us informed.

I have a M7 and it is a good sweeper but reverse in the automatic transmition seems to be a weak point.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Postby Tom_in_CA » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:23 am

Well, did you get the thing going? Those chain-drive mechanical Mobils were great sweepers! They left nothing in their path :shock: But they were a mechanic's nightmare :twisted:

As soon as hydraulics hit the market in the early 1970s, the chain-drive mechanicals were soon ix-nayed in favor of the hydraulic motors. By the mid-1980s, you could scarcely even find the chain-drive round-nosed anymore. They were great sweepers, for their time.

comsweep

Still Playing with it

Postby comsweep » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Still trying to get it going. With leaf season and all the rain we just have no time. Hopefully I will get time early enough to have it on the road before spring. Thanks again for the info.

Robert

comsweep

Sorry

Postby comsweep » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:35 am

Sorry to everyone that has helped me with this stupid broom. I gave up for awhile on it. Other things took priority. I will try to get back to it soon.
Until then I just had to say thanks. I just bought a 1997 Elgin Whirlwind L that I'm sure I will need some info on.

Thanks again,
Robert

Return to “Broom Sweepers”