Here's some pix of our skid-spacer setups on our drag shoes

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Here's some pix of our skid-spacer setups on our drag shoes

Postby Tom_in_CA » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 am

Hey guys, here's what the rubber spacers look like, before and after installation on Mobil drag-shoe-skids:

1) First pix is the rubber that we mass cut and drill holes (with a template we keep on hand to mark the spots to drill in, size rubber to cut, etc....). As you can see there's several rows of holes, so that as time goes on, and the rubber wears down, you can lower it to the next notch, and so forth.

2) The next 2 pix is a pix of the inside of a skid. However, I didn't have any freshly installed rubber spacers to take a pix of. This is one that's already worn down. But with your imagination, you can perhaps imagine the rubber, how it eventually folds under (towards the broom) and thus fills in any gap between the broom and the skid.

3) The last pix is a vew from the outside of the sweeper/skid.

This is just a minor adjustment. The spacers are not a substitute for a sweeper that is just not picking up good in the first place. If you are doing nothing more than pushing the bulk of the stuff down the road ahead of you (instead of the debris getting up on to the elevators, and successfully making the trip up the entire length of the floor), then ..... it's still going to be a loosing battle. Ie.: the debris, if all you are doing is bulldozing forward, is still going to try to find it's way out on the sides, whenever a gap or turn allows.

There's *always* a bit of forward pushing, for *some* period of time (till debris gets properly kicked on to the elevator flights). Thus the less "daylight" you have showing at your sides, the less prone debris is to escape out the sides.

The factors of the sweepers ability to get the stuff on the flights, and all the way up the floor, are multiple: a) You need to have a curtain at the bottom of the floor b) you need to have rubber squeegee flights that are staying flat (hugging) the floor all the way up. Bent bars, worn-ripped squeegee rubbers, or un-even floor, or chains that "slap", are all reasons that allow debris to only make it half-way up, then tumble back down. To determine this, if you stand at the top, looking down as the elevators turn, See if the flights stay flat all the way up. It's never quite perfect, nor does each flight reach all the way to the sides (lest they be touching and constricting). But the flatter and smoother, the better.

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Re: Here's some pix of our skid-spacer setups on our drag sh

Postby Dwan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 pm

I like what I see there Tom. I just got a new to me M-9 without these rubbers and looks like it would be worth a try.
About how many hours do you get before you have to adjust them?
How thick is the material you are using?
My elevator seem to be working great but there are a few small holes in the hoper so the spoils are making a round trip till I can get them plugged this weekend.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Re: Here's some pix of our skid-spacer setups on our drag sh

Postby Tom_in_CA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Dwan, they are 1/4" belted rubber. As for how long we go before lowering them down, that's something we've never timed/guaged. Because we don't necessarily even lower them once they're worn to an indented shape. We only tend to lower them when we're trying to combat stripes. And the unit might be picking up just fine, because the walls are generally tight, broom good, etc..... So there's no specific time at which we lower them, except when we're trying to abate a stripe.

Return to “Broom Sweepers”