New California diesel smog emissions rules

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

New California diesel smog emissions rules

Postby Tom_in_CA » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:16 am

For the past few years, California has been slowly phasing in diesel smog rules. Right now, it only affects the rear engines. If you are running twin engine sweepers, that have a GVR of 14K pounds or more, and have a rear engine of 49 hp or more, and don't have a sticker for it, you are currently in violation. Eventually they'll have to be "puff tested". You'll be required to put retrofits that can cost as much as $20K on them!!

Next, starting in 1/1/2011, (2.5 year away), your front engines of 1994 and older units will have to be retriffitted with expensive cr*p to make them comply with diesel smog rules. Then on 1/1/2013, your 1995 and new units will fall under the rules.

Only the newest sweepers coming off the assembly lines (just the last few years) have been made with compliant engines. All your older, and perfectly good, sweepers will soon, if not already, be running afoul of these new laws! Companies are ALREADY being shut down, fined (forced to pay a "pay-to-pollute" fee to contine), etc... It just depends on enforcement practice by the regional boards in your area, as to the level of enforcement. But soon, it will spread, and no one will be able to escape.

So a group of us in CA that run the larger street sweepers like this, have banded together in solidarity to discuss a solution. We have had meeting with CARB (California Air Resources Board) to make a case to have sweepers exempted as an entire class of equipment. We have compelling arguments that they are looking into. For example: Athey Mobil no longer exists, nor has Elgin, who bought them, carried on any sort of technical support for them (they just bought out Mobil to "bury" them, and/or carry on the parts sales). Shwarze and Elgin have issued letters that they do not recommend retrofitting rear engines on sweepers, d/t compartment space, balance, vibration, and safety issues. These, and other issues, are being considered!

Get involved in the fight. Even if you are not in CA, be forewarned that this is coming to a state near you! At least 10 states are eyeing California's diesel smog laws effectiveness, to see if they too will implement this in their state. So I CA exempts sweepers (as they have already exempted certain other type equipment), that verbage would presumably follow to other states as well. So it behooves every one in every state to fight this at this level!

To get involved, and know what you can do, email me at:

ttanner777@aol.com.

I will bring you up to speed, by forwarding all past emailed correspondence within our ranks. Re.: about what's happened, what we are doing, links to the laws, what will happen next, etc...

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:39 am

Tom, add me to that list. I will e-mail my contact info.
New trucks here are kind of in limbo. Some stations sell lo sulfur fuel and some sell the newer fuel which they say is not good for older motors. I have to watch ware I buy fuel even in a remote community like Juneau, Alaska.

BIFF

Re: New California diesel smog emissions rules

Postby BIFF » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:54 pm

TOM:
:( It is so nice to see that the CARB is doing what they can to help the small guy out :roll: . Let me see if I understand this right, if truck is under 14,000 GVW and aux motor is under 49 HP you don't need permit? Do these permits only apply to diesel aux motors? Thanks for the info! I spent several days trying to contact CARB to get info, but all I got was the run-around and no answers!

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Re: New California diesel smog emissions rules

Postby Tom_in_CA » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 am

Biff, and any other sweeper Co's: Send me your email address, name, title/position, company name, etc....to:

ttanner777@aol.com

I will email you back all the past correspondance from our solidarity. By reading the communications there ("newsletters", so to speak), you can "catch up" on all this issue, as it pertains to sweepers in CA. It will answer all your questions, rather than me typing here all day :)

The only thing I would ask, for my efforts in forwarding this, and adding you to our roster, is that you would please consider making a donation to our cause. The information on how to do so is there in the correspondance I'll email you. We have gotten legal help, and CPA help, which has not been free! We need help in closing the books on some of those tabs, so it is only fair that anyone benefitting from this information exchange, play a part and contribute to our NAPSA CA chapter (formed solely for this purpose).

And even if you're not a CA sweeper company, you can still contact me to get caught up on these exchanges. Because this nonsense is "coming to a state near you". Other state's are eyeing California's success in this program, and are considering similar laws. The more you are educated, the more you can be prepared. So we invite you too, to contribute, get educated, etc...

Return to “Broom Sweepers”