Smaller suction hose on Tymco 600?

This forum is moderated by Tom Rokas, Regional Sales Manager with TYMCO.

Moderators: Dwan, Tom_in_CA

DMD3

Smaller suction hose on Tymco 600?

Postby DMD3 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:40 am

I have a queston regarding the Tymco 600 and the Tymco HSP. Does the HSP have a smaller sized suction hose than the standard 600 model? With our 14 inch radius on our 600's hose, it does a great job picking up pinestraw, leaves, paper, etc. But it only does a fair job when picking up heavy stuff such as sand, mud, rocks, etc. Even when I close the lead bleeder, and inch my way across while sweeping it, the pickup head will only suck up so much sand.

Is it possible to simply order a smaller size hose for the 600 model, or are all the hoses 14 inches wide. I know that if the hose were smaller (say 8 inches wide), it would be much easier for it to get stopped up when sweeping up pinestraw and whatnot, but it would be great for sweeping the routes with a lot of sand. Once a month, we have to sweep the main highway at 3:00 A.M., and the entire route is 90% sand.

BWY09
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Smaller suction hose on Tymco 600?

Postby BWY09 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:07 am

Did you ever get a answer to your question?

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Tom_in_CA » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 am

I can't speak to the "HSP" line, nor do I know whether or not switching to a smaller diameter pickup tube would help with the dense sand. I can't imagine how switching to a smaller diameter tube would help though. For example: we have noticed that if our uptake tube is constricted d/t built up mud that cakes the sides of the tube (which would be analogous to a smaller diameter tube, no?) that it decreases suction and efficicency, not increases efficiency.

One way to help at picking up sand better, in my humble opinion, is to pay close attention to the blast orifice opening width. The narrower the slit, the better it is for dense & heavier items. The Tymco manual, I believe, says to have it set to 1/2" to 5/8" opening, right? That might be sufficient for typical municipa curb sweeping, where there is leaves, paper debri, etc... (and not just sand and grit). But we find that if you ignore that spec. and go tighter, it picks up sand and dirt better. Try going down to 1/4" on the blow side (since when you crank up your RPM's, it will widen out that side, since that's right in-line with the blow), and to about 1/2" (or 5/8") on the suck side.

That seems to help with chip and sand. If for some reason you encounter fluffy leaves, you can always temporarily open up your leaf bleeder a bit to allow them to be sucked under the head better.

BWY09

Postby BWY09 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:04 pm

If you designed a pickup head for the 600 that ate sand and gravel like it was hungry for it,or leaves, pine straw and paper that you never had to adjust.
What would it be worth?
p.s. and you never had to open the leaf door thing.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Tom_in_CA » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 am

BWY09, if you can invent such a thing, I'll be the first person to buy you a 12-pack of your favorite dark beer :) Unfortunately, sweepers are full of moving parts, with debri going through the pickup parts all the time. Therefore I can not imagine something that doesn't take continual tinkering, adjusting, compensating, & replacing of wear parts.

On another note: If a person has to keep their leaf bleeder open to half or more open, *just* to keep their flaps from "blowing out", then they have an air flow problem somewhere. Air is escaping or sucking in, at some junction, causing the imbalance to force the air flow equation to seek another "path of least resistance" elsewhere. Ideally, you should be able to close the leaf bleeder all the way, and ....... assuming you're sitting stationary (skid not going over any rocks or uneven ground, etc...) that your flaps should sit flat (assuming you have the right thickness/sturdiness of flap material). That is to say, that 100% of the air going down the tube, is the same 100% of the air going up the up-take tube, and round and round the cycle goes. But once you have imperfections (air coming in or out elsewhere, no matter how small, screens constricted, mud constricting above the screens, or on the inside of uptake tube, blast orifice not adjust right, etc...) then the circulating air becomes un-even and out-of balance with the various paths, and that cause the air to seek another "path of least resistence", which is what causes the flaps to blow out.

Some Tymco's just do better than others, for reasons that can't be determined. We had a 1980 600 that we always ran around with the leaf bleeder closed 100% It never expelled dust in the air, nor escaped through the skids or flaps, etc... It seemed like could sweep through ash and baby powder, and never expel any. Even without ground water! We only had water (a sloshing bathtub full) inside the hopper only. But the 600s we've had since then, never seem to get to this perfection. No matter how tight we try to get it, and no matter how much we diagnos it, etc... So I guess some were "made on a Monday" and others were "made on a Friday" :)

BWY09

Postby BWY09 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am

Tom I have already done it. My problem is trying to get it out there without getting ripped off. The crazy thing is you could reduce power because your not choking the system by trying to cramp the air through a small opening. Dont tell anybody they will think your crazy!

BWY09

Postby BWY09 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:30 am

Thanks for the 12 pack offer but its going to take just a little more than that!

BWY09

Postby BWY09 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:27 am

DMD3 how do we get in contact I can help you with your sweeper.

Return to “TYMCO”