Elgin Broom Badger modifications

Your moderator is Brian Giles, of Elgin.

Moderators: Dwan, Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Elgin Broom Badger modifications

Post by Tom_in_CA » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:51 am

Anyone else here bought the Elgin Broom Badger ?

Here's several shortfalls , for their stock design, that can be modified for improved performance :

1) The "skirt", at the bottom of the elevators, is a very poor design. By "skirt", I'm talking about the rubber flap that lowers, with the elevator floor, to catch/launch the debris being spun forward, onto the elevators. The stock skirt has an annoying bend, that makes it almost perpendicular (or a "bow" shape) that doesn't allow the material to be shot forward very well. It is also prone to be "sucked up" into the elevators if/when you go over speed bumps, or back up.

Instead, we cut all that off. And devised a system similar to what you'd have on a Mobil . If the Mobil were correctly done. Obviously .... some older Mobils have undergone revisions over the years too.

The results have increased the proficiency 2x !! Much less stripes (like on turns). Much better of fluffly leaves and cardboard fluff stuff. If anyone wants a picture of the before and after of this skirt modification, let me know.

2) The stock skids on the broom badger are VERY FLAWED. For starters: They are not carbide. So you can literally wear down a skid-shoe bottom in less than a year. Doh! So we took some old Mobil carbide skid shoes, and metal fabb'ed them to fit to the bottom of the Badger shoe. More about this in a minute .....

3) The Badger has a VERY TIGHT turning radius. Which is a good thing, I suppose. You can do figure-eight's in the space of a narrow street. Woohoo. But the down-side of this, we discovered, is that this makes the skids very prone to bend !! Because: Heaven help you if you are in the middle of a tight-turn, and your skid moves sideways over a reflective button. That means the button is being caught by the SIDE. And not the snow-plow front. And thus very prone to bend your skid in or out. :(

We kept bending skids, to the point where the driver was having to be super cautious when taking advantage of the super tight turning radius. Thus:

4) We have instead installed a "brush skid" system. If anyone wants a picture of what I'm talking about, let me know. What it is, is basically taking the "strips" of a strip-main-broom, and fashioning them to be the sides, of where your side-wall/skids would normally be. With tension mechanisms to keep them tapered inwards. And by attaching them to the down-pressure of the main-broom adjustments: They automatically get lowered , as you lower your main broom with normal wear .

5) The rear view mirrors are wonderful ! Great visibility, such that you can practically steer from the driver's side, and see perfectly to navigate a curb on the opposite side. Right ? But those wonder giant wide-angle rear-view mirrors come with a downside : They are so large, and stick out so cotton-picking far, that :

When you are trying sweep up alongside a perpendicular wall (or stack of pallets, etc...) that you can NOT get right up flush with the 90* bottom, without scraping/hitting your mirrors !

Thus, for example : If you were to drop a plumb-line down from the outside edge of the mirror. And then drop a plumb-line down from the outward reach of the gutter broom : You would find that the reach of the mirror exceeds the reach of the gutter broom by about an inch or so. Doh ! :/

It is fine when you are sweeping curblines. Where you have the liberty to extend your mirrors out over the curb-line. But it utterly sucks when you have a straight up and down vertical wall (like a building, or rows of pallets, etc...). And is especially pronounced if/when you are in the middle of turns. That might cause this geometrics to get extended.

I found myself having to get out and readjust my mirrors 20 times during some particular jobs. Because hits by fixed objects kept hitting the mirror bar mounts. VERY AGGRAVATING . You can solve the problem somewhat by adjusting the gutter brooms to have their outer-most swing adjustment. But you are *STILL* going to have an inch or so difference in the point-of-contact. Aaarrgghh.

So we are in the process of cutting off an inch or so of mirror-housing-bracket, to bring those mirrors in closer to the cab. If there is still a problem, we are going to consider getting smaller after market mirrors. Ie.: robbing something off an older sweeper, with smaller mirrors.

Hopefully Elgin is reading this and can "take a clue".

Return to “Elgin (Federal Signal)”