SE vs. P Elgin

Your moderator is Brian Giles, of Elgin.

Moderators: Dwan, Tom_in_CA

todd8853

SE vs. P Elgin

Postby todd8853 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:25 am

What is the true difference between an SE and P model Elgin sweeper.
The P is a 97 and the SE is a 98. These 2 used machines are about $25K in difference and 1000 hrs different. I can't justify the newer model with 1000 less hours being $25K higher--what are my sales people not telling me with the 97? Which is the better all around model for sweeping construction sites?

Dwan
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Dwan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:47 pm

My understanding is the S series are Mechanical driven and the P series are hydraulic driven. The S will dig deeper into mud and hard pack applying approx 70HP strait to the curb broom ware as the P series can not apply as much power to the curb brooms as it is divided between the main broom and curb brooms. Hope this helps.

I would think a P series would do most 90% of the jobs out there with a lot less maintains But if you have hard pack like you cant even get up with a shovel then the S series would be better. By the way the P series is cheaper for the new machines.

Have you looked at the new Pelican?
Last edited by Dwan on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

bgiles
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby bgiles » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Dwan is absolutely correct. The difference is the broom drive mechanism. The S can use most of the engine hp to dig. The new S has a hydraulic clutch to help reduce broken shear pins.

Return to “Elgin (Federal Signal)”