Bidding jobs

Q & A on how to bid street sweeping.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

SpoonMan

Bidding jobs

Postby SpoonMan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:16 pm

Do you bid by the hour, by the mile, by the job, or a combination of the 3?

Also, do you give a price break when dealing with someone who wants the same place swept 4-5 times a week?

For example, if the job is just for cleaning up where dump trucks are tracking out and you estimate it's going to be a two hour job, do you bill for 2hours 5 days a week or do you give a price break?

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Tom_in_CA » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:18 pm

I use a combination of the 3. For on-call type jobs, we try to charge by the hour. 3 hr. minimum, portal to portal. But if they're going to be doing multiple days, and they seem like they're budget conscious, and we're not to busy, I'll be more aggresive. I may either come down a hair in the hourly price, or reduce the minimum to 1 or 2 hrs. (esp. if it's close to my shop). I would usually put restrictions on this though, like....... they need to be flexible with start times, etc.... so that I can hit them coming or going from other jobs.

If it's an ongoing regular scheduled job, like homeowner's assoc's, mobile home parks, industrial yards, etc.... then we put a flat rate per/sweep price on them. If something extreme happens and we go way overtime, the customer will usually understand if you charge them for "unusual and un-customary" extra time.

Hard to put a flat rate on a one-time, or on-call type of job, because there's no telling how dirty it will be. Like const. truck track-outs: who's to say that what you see now, won't be 2x as dirty by the end of the day? Or who's to say that the if the trucks were supposed to finish their haul by 4pm, the contractor decides to keep working till 5pm, so he tells you not to leave yet? etc.....

Return to “Bidding Street Sweeping”