street sweeping after the streetsweeper

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA, nitehawk

vendelavettori
Anti-Spam Number: 3

street sweeping after the streetsweeper

Postby vendelavettori » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:30 am

Can I get a parking ticket for street sweeping after the streetsweeper has gone by? I live in California and right after the sweeper went by, I parked my car in the street. A parking officer came by and gave me a ticket. The sign said no parking between 10AM and 1PM. They were able to clean the street so how can they give me a ticket?
Last edited by vendelavettori on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Re: street sweeping after the streetsweeper - reply

Postby Tom_in_CA » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:18 am

Hey, great question :) Afterall, you've fulfilled the "spirit of the law".

However, I suspect that if enforcement officers started down *that* road of semantics, then it would be never-ending. Because think of it: then EVERYONE would have a reason why the sign, at that time, "didn't apply to them".

I mean, perhaps the officer didn't know the sweeper had already passed by. Or what's to stop you, the next week, from seeing "hmm, the street looks clean, so therefore the sweeper must have already gone by". Then you go and park there. But lo & behold you were wrong, and the sweeper hadn't gone by there yet. Or was going to make a second pass. Or whatever.

Hence the enforcement people will simply go by the litteral wording on the sign. Lest everyone think that they can have their own little logical steps, to likewise do things contrary to signs.

Dwan
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Re: street sweeping after the streetsweeper

Postby Dwan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Good answer Tom. I have gone to dump a full load more then once and came back to find someone parking ware I left off. Here we just have them towed and impounded. uasualy only hase to happen once before they get the idea. Sign says no parking. xx to xx

Return to “Parking Area Sweepers”