Pulling fan off crankshaft

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA, nitehawk

Rocketee

Pulling fan off crankshaft

Post by Rocketee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Does anyone have any good ideas on removing a fan which in 'frozen' to a engine crankshaft?
We have a 7 ton hydraulic puller which snapped one of the jaws extension arms. The split-taper bushing has two holes where you screw in 5/16 bolts that are supposed to 'push' the bushing off crankshaft - these bolts snapped. Re-threaded the two holes and bolts snapped again(grade 5).
We have resorted to cutting the fan which has also cut into the crankshaft slightly, this cutting is time consuming, noisy and damages the crankshaft. Is there a better way? I have been told heating the fan could also heat the crankshaft up enough to melt/distort the crankshaft seal. (we are working on a 21" diam masco fan mounted to a 20.5 hp Robin/Suburu engine) When fan was installed 3 years ago it was coated with anti-seize grease.

Rich
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Pulling fan off crankshaft

Post by Rich » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:55 am

You need to use grade 8 bolts. I like to drill a third hold to equal at pushing on the fan. Be careful not to hit the key if there is one. I like to drill the third hole before putting the bushing on. After you have the bolts in and snug down. Use a impact with a large end, more the surface area the better. Impact all around on the fan a few times. Then tighten the bolts about a quarter on a turn. Then use the impact again all around on the fan. Use this until the fan comes loose. It might take a lot of cycles to remove the fan. You will need longer bolts to push the fan off the bushing, I think 8 inches. Let me know if this works,
Rich

Rocketee

Post by Rocketee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Thank you Rich, I have never heard of this method and we will try it on the next sweeper to get a fan replaced. The current fan we are working on was just removed by cutting, what a crazy way to remove a fan! We cursed the fan for hours. Thanks again.

hickslawns
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Post by hickslawns » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Was this on a Scavinjer sweeper perhaps? Last one we had to take off our Scavinjer we finally just had to torch the crankshaft and replace the engine. Soaked it, drilled out the keyway, broke numerous pullers. Heated it, beat on it, used impacts of all sizes. We ended up re-designing ours since it was out of warranty.

Return to “Parking Area Sweepers”