Newbie, Walmart Parking lot advice

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA, nitehawk

Leviduncan

Newbie, Walmart Parking lot advice

Postby Leviduncan » Sat May 16, 2009 11:06 am

I am subing out to a sweeping company to do my local walmart. I am paying him 1500 a month or 125 per visit to clean the parking lot. I notice he never picks up any of the sand and I personally am not happy. I dont want to loose the contract for Lawn and Snow, so I am thinking about getting into street sweeping and picking up more walmarts. I am wondering what kind of used unit would be Ideal for a walmart lot. I have looked at swharze and Tymco so far at there smaller units. Any advice on getting into it? Units for 10k worth buying?

BruceW
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Newbie, Walmart Parking lot advice

Postby BruceW » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:56 pm

First of all, I would love to earn $125 per cleaning at Walmart. We are at about 1/2 price.

As for sweeper advice - We have two single engine models and at this time they are our last single engine models. While they vacuum pretty well, we have constant issues between truck repair shop, Izusu and sweeper vendor on where is the problem. When the hydraulic system won't work, we are told it is a truck issue. Take the truck to the shop and they tell you the pump assembly violates the warrently. Finally get them over that and they state the problem is with the vacuum unit. It has been both of their problems at times.

With a 2nd engine, like our other 2 trucks, we know where the problem is. If the back motor is not working the back hydraulics are the problem. I know this won't solve everything, but it will help.

Plus the added benefit of moving slow to pick up gravel and sand in the spring time with a dual engine truck versus going over the debris more times with the single engine.

cost of truck? Compare the cost of the back engine with replacing that front pump. The pump is very expensive and so far the only place to get it has been the sweeper vendor.

TheRoadCleaners

Postby TheRoadCleaners » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:36 am

Hey BruceW!!!
Thanks for the worthy advice!! I am sure it would help me on somewhere of my career life.

DS5

Postby DS5 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:40 am

Question?

How much do you all think the average cost for a Wal Mart should be monthly for cleaning. I was thinking of putting some numbers in on some sites around here.

Dwan
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Dwan » Sat May 19, 2012 7:25 am

DS5 wrote:Question?

How much do you all think the average cost for a Wal Mart should be monthly for cleaning. I was thinking of putting some numbers in on some sites around here.

You need to set your prices high enough to stay in business and make a profit.
as a general rule I set my pricing by adding all my overhead plus my wages (including mine) and what I want for profit. Profit is what you can take out of the business without affecting the way it is run. personally I set mine at 1/3 each. 1/3rd overhead, 1/3rd for wages, and 1/3rd for profit.
There are many out there that use a different scale that works for them.
Remember if there is no profit built in, then you would be better off just working for someone else and not have any head aches.

brimstone

Postby brimstone » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Newbi,
I have a 2010 GMC Schwarze for sale. Asking $45,000. Call me at 337-526-7099 if interested

Return to “Parking Area Sweepers”