Here's what you can do with your worn out main brooms:

If it didn't fit elsewhere, here's the spot. Or, suggest a new forum using the link at the top of the forum page.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Here's what you can do with your worn out main brooms:

Post by Tom_in_CA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 am

A few years ago, getting close to Christmas time, my business partner got p*ssed when one of our main brooms got "coned". You know ..... where the adjustments go out of wack, and one side wears prematurely. If you you catch it in time, you can over-compensate on the other side, and catch it to wear back evenly. Hopefully. but if not, they can get coned, and thus need to be thrown out prematurely :( And with the price of main brooms, that's no fun to throw one out at half life.

One such coned broom sort of resembled a Christmas tree. So he decorated it with Christmas lights and decorations, and we had it in our shop for a few weeks around Christmas! Great idea for your own home, eh? Think of how happy your wife and kids will be when you come home with your "free" Christmas tree, haha

But on a serious note now: regarding used main brooms: Another use I've heard of, is that equestrian people (horse-owners) want them .... supposedly. They hang then from a barn wall, or suspended somehow. And then the horse can scratch his back up against it. We had an equestrian person come by our shop asking us to save worn out brooms. But after giving her one, we never heard from her again. She said she'd read the tip in a horse-enthusiast magazine.

I've never much pursued the idea, but I suppose if you were to go to horse -&-tack shops, and put up some adds, or show up at stables talking to people (perhaps with the article cut out from whatever magazine it appeared in), you might find some people to take the brooms. But we got lazy, and just pay the extra $10 or $15 bucks each at the dump, haha

Dwan
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Re: Here's what you can do with your worn out main brooms:

Post by Dwan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 pm

I have seen them used ion ranches in eastern Montana for cattle back scratchers. Most were stood on end and dropped over a fence post of sorts.

Return to “General/Other”