Need Help Removing Pavement Markings (Dubai)

If it didn't fit elsewhere, here's the spot. Or, suggest a new forum using the link at the top of the forum page.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

ranger
Site Admin

Need Help Removing Pavement Markings (Dubai)

Postby ranger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 am

Hello-
I received an inquiry from Michael Fejsa, who is Facilities Manager at Palm Jumeirah Development in Dubai. Michael said:"I am trying to find the best techniques to clean tire markings on gutters and table top speed hump that are colored.

"I have taken photos within various location of the development and would appreciate your recommendations on how to remove the marking effectively and, most importantly, without causing paint removal and without chemicals."

I put Michael's photos at: http://www.worldsweeper.com/DubaiMarkings/

Please respond with any ideas you have for this; Michael will know to monitor this posting. In case you need to contact him, Michael's email address is: michael.fejsa@nakheel.com

- Ranger Kidwell-Ross, editor

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Tom_in_CA » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:08 pm

I would think that pressure washer guys (the guys that clean store-front and shoping center sidewalks at night) would know the answer to that. They would know the pro's and con's of addatives, hot vs cold, etc... And they would know what might or might not be too harsh (nozzle pressure) that it could affect paint.

I'm guessing that parking lot striping paint will not be affected with standard pressure washing/steam cleaning, yet the black tire marks and stuff would come up. Just look in the yellow pages under steam cleaners, and pick the ones who ordinarilly to exterior sidewalk type stuff (not the ones who only do exterior building paint prep, awnings, restaurant vents, etc....). My experience is that the ones that do a lot of sidewalks, dumpster rooms, etc.... know all the pros and cons of their different options and methods.

asphalt
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Need Help Removing Pavement Markings (Dubai)

Postby asphalt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm

40,000psi ultra high pressure is used to remove the rubber marks on airport run ways. The rubber tends to burn into the paint. The best way is to use the not so friendly oil based traffic paint and put it on thick so as it oxidizes it offers a self healing or cleaning effect. I know this does not answer your question directly but you will go through all the motions and inevitably need to repaint.
Rent a whirl away which is a type of wheeled enclosed rotating pressure washing head and attach it to the biggest bad *ss pressure washer you can rent. Best to get into the 5000 PSI range at 5 or more gallons per minute. If the rubber does not come off, it will never come off with out soda or sand blasting, so your good to re apply paint.

Protect Environment
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Need Help Removing Pavement Markings (Dubai)

Postby Protect Environment » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:36 pm

Pavement marking removal can be of various types like shot-blasting, gas torching, soda-blasting, and sand-blasting. Thre are two highly used techniques for pavement marking removal-Waterblasting and Grinding.
For airport sweeping visit: airport sweeping
For Highway sweeping : highway sweeping

Return to “General/Other”