Athey Mobils demise :(

Discussion area for what types, makes and models of sweepers are right for what types of jobs.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Athey Mobils demise :(

Postby Tom_in_CA » Tue May 20, 2014 6:31 pm

The Last Athey Mobils to roll off the assembly line was either 2000, or 2001, right? What a drag :( Because they were far superior than some of the other junk being manufactured in the 1980s, 90's, etc... And that was probably the reason for their demise. Was that in order to make a high quality product, they had to charge for it. And unfortunately, municipalities, counties, states, etc.... going out to bid for public work's dept. sweepers, had to take the lowest bid. So therefore cheapo sweepers were able to under-bid Athey Mobil. It's the sad saga of no one wanting to pay for quality, eh? Oh the public entities would CLAIM that quality had to be in the product, but .... the reality was, they pick by lowest bid :( Period. Hence Athey Mobil could not compete on that level of price.

But for many years after that, private contractors could continue to buy up used Athey Mobils at public auctions. And seeing as how the normal life-span in a public works fleet is somewhere between 7 to 15 yrs, that means that the last of the Mobils being "turned out to pasture" by municipalities, is about now. We are now coming up to that 15 yr. mark since Mobil Co. folded. So you will soon cease to see any Mobils at auctions, that are coming straight from public agencies.

Any Mobils you see in the years to come, will invariably be coming from private contractor's fleets. And those are not as sought after, since it's naturally assumed that city curb-street sweeping is less taxing on a sweeper, than things like chip, grinding, paving, const. work, etc....

So I've noticed that Broom Bears, of commensurate year, miles, hours, seem to be commanding higher prices that Mobils of commensurate year, miles, hours. Yet they are about equal, in my opinion, as far as ability, durability, etc.... So I'm guessing that the reason Broom Bears are becoming more sought after, is that .... truth be told .... the day will come when it's simply not going to be possible to buy any more Athey Mobil (except "seriously used" ones). So all other things being equal, it makes more sense to start steering fleets to Broom Bears now. Since, of course, those are still being made. Hence more ability to swap around parts, etc...

Rest in Peace Athey Mobil :(

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Re: Athey Mobils demise :(

Postby Dwan » Thu May 22, 2014 9:06 am

I like your reasoning there Tom. I don't expect the Mobils to just fade away just yet as there are several places still making parts for them. As long as there are parts that one can't make them self I feel they will be around for another decade or two. I know I have 2 of them with 1 in very fine shape with proper care and parts could last another 15 to 20 years.
Another reason for the demise could have been partially due to Elgin buying out there competition for the Broom Bear and closing down there plant. I am sure this had a little to do with it.
All in all the Mobil as we know it is slowly fading away.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator

Re: Athey Mobils demise :(

Postby Tom_in_CA » Sun May 25, 2014 6:17 am

Dwan wrote:As long as there are parts that one can't make them self I feel they will be around for another decade or two...........

It's already, even now, getting harder to find parts for them. For example, recently we bought an elevator floor for one of our M9's. That's the generation that came before Top-guns. So this M9 was about a 1990. And the seller told us that he hadn't sold any of these for more than a year. And was hinting that ... he/they may not even stock it as time goes on.

So yeah, right *now* you can still get parts, but the day will come when the list of available persons/companies selling them will dwindle, and those still around will jack up prices (because they know they've got you by the b@lls on availability).

But yeah, as long as parts are available, and you are handy with mechanics, welding, etc... then a Mobil can have up to a 30 yr. life-span. I've still got a few M8's (2te4's) in my fleet, that date to the late 1980s, that are still working just fine.

Return to “Choosing the Right Sweeper”