Elgin Geo-Vac

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

alan5252
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Elgin Geo-Vac

Postby alan5252 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:36 am

Does anybody out there have a Geo-Vac. I have one and it has been a headache since 2000 when we purchased it. The fluid drive coupler has failed 13 times! I finally retooled the main brg assy and it seems to be on our way to recovery. If anybody else has a problem or solution i would like to discuss it with you to see if we can help each other. From what i read on the internet, i'm not the only one with this problem?

Dwan
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Re: Elgin Geo-Vac

Postby Dwan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:51 am

alan5252, our city had some of the same problems. The only way they were able to solve it was to sell it. I know this does not help but it was there solution. The mechanic that worked on it hated it for that reason. The only help he got from Elgin was they would through parts at it until it was out of warranty then the city had to buy the parts to through at it. The new owner replaced the bearing and coupler when he got it and has only put a couple hundred hours on it so far.
Have you contacted Elgin directly or are you going through a dealer? On my Air Cub I finally got results through the North West rep for Elgin ware the dealer was of no help. He would be the guy to put you into contact with others that may have similar problems

Dwan

alan5252

Postby alan5252 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Elgin did the same thing with us, but i think i finally figured it out myself. You do not put a main bearing on the impeller of a sweeper without putting a seal on it. The engineer who thought this up must have a problem! I reworked the housing to fit a better bearing and also cut the openings of the bell housing and install viton seals for the shaft. I only have about 150 hrs. on it, but when i shut down the rear engine and listen to it free wheel, it sounds great so far. Cross my fingers.

alan5252

Postby alan5252 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:04 am

400 Hrs and still going after i revamped it! Alan

Return to “Street Sweepers”