Looking to get into the business, where to begin??

Basic info about where you are and how the Discussion Forum works.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

pOliva
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Looking to get into the business, where to begin??

Postby pOliva » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:57 am

Well been looking to get into this business for quite sometime now, and figured at this time of my life is no better time and have no excuses other than my own cowardness. Im as green as they come to this business and would just ask if some of the great folks here can point me to the right direction into starting a new sweeping business. Im looking to do parking lots, and have a few questions. Can I start with a used sweeper, and what should I look for when deciding on a used sweeper? Do I want a broom or an air sweeper, what are the pros/cons to each? Also my main concern is getting contracts. In my area there seems to be one company 30miles away doing alot of the work for many businesses here, can I still make a decent living at this with other competitors? I have many other questions, but these were the ones that were on top of my list. Also does anyone recomend the book on this website, "Fundamentals of the Power Sweeping Business", what can I learn from it? Thanks for any help.

RELYon

Postby RELYon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Sounds like you're where I was 2-3 months ago.

Yes, absolutely get the book. It's a great resource and handy reference covering almost anything you can think of in starting your power sweeping business.

Tommy Allen @ Used Sweepers of America specializes in used/reconditioned sweepers. He even provides a warranty, delivery and operator/maintenance training with some units.

Figure out how you're going to differentiate yourself from your competition. All of us have competition to deal with, so don't let that fact alone discourage you.....but do your research. For example, I learned that a local property manager is paying $40/sweep for a combo grocery store/home improvement store parking lot, and I decided up front that I wouldn't even try to compete with that (I'm not in the low-ball market).

I started cold-calling property managers, explaining I was considering starting a sweeping business, and asking if I could spend no more than 15 minutes meeting with them to learn about their experiences with sweeping. You won't get that many who will take your call or call you back, but be persistent and you'll get some folks eventually.

The family is waiting for me at the dinner table, so I need to run, but research research research, and good luck!

Brian

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:39 am

After you get the book. Go through it and see if it answered most of your questions then give me a call on the phone (IM me for phone number). I will be glad to spend half an hour going over your questions.

Dwan

David Crews
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Looking to get into the business, where to begin??

Postby David Crews » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:09 pm

The Book is full of useful information - If I can help answer any of your questions - Give me a call.

David Crews
256-508-5456

Rooshsweeping
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Postby Rooshsweeping » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:02 am

I'm in the same situation. The bleak job market is paving the way for entrepreneurship. The big drawback is not being able to spend time with the family at night. But, at the same time, it's ripe for a change and for an opportunity. I'm based in the NJ/NYC Metro area. I've gotten a general idea as to what people have been charging. These low-ballers are obviously hurting the market, but they will only last so long. I've yet to buy a refurbished sweeper, but my big question is ..... SHOULD I start prospecting/getting clients before I get the machine?

Thanks,

Rushan from NJ
email me at ROOSHSWEEPING@aol.com

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:40 am

it is always nice to have clients before you take the big step. Just make sure they understand you can not service them until you have the equipment on hand. Having a letter of intent from several customers is a help when looking for financing. Also because the sweeping season is a little ways out it would be a good time to take a small course on business basics. Any other questions?

Dwan

Return to “Start Here”