How best to clean desert sand after large event?

Cleaning sandy areas, including beaches and desert areas.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

ranger
Site Admin

How best to clean desert sand after large event?

Post by ranger » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:43 am

Here's an info request I received from our WS.com contact form:

"I am looking for a source that can provide best process practices and equipment to sweep, shred, and compress trash from large sandy areas. The residual trash could be a mixture of paper, plastic bags, drinking water or soda bottles, food, etc. Such a trash results from a huge gathering (thousands) of people for a few days in a desert like area."

Does anyone have information about what machinery to use to clean desert sand where there's a large amount of debris? I hadn't thought of it before, but this must be a recurring problem in countries with a desert land area.

–Ranger, editor

PS I now have some photos of a sample 'post-event,' and put them online.
Here's the link: http://www.worldsweeper.com/Temp/Sand/index.html
Last edited by ranger on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tom_in_CA
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Post by Tom_in_CA » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:53 pm

I can't add to the "processing" discussion since, most street sweeper co's require a spot to dump the spoils, on site. Or, just take to the dump, etc...

But I can add to the pickup question: Our company, and many that I know of, routinely use Tymco sweepers on terra-firma (vs pavement/streets). Tymco's work great on grass & hard-pan type surfaces. But if it's loose sand, etc.... the Tymco would start to try to pick up the grit, and you'd be hating life :shock:

Mr. Air & Shwarze type of pickup heads can't do it. Since they blow from one end of the head to the other, they only pick up the best, at the pickup end, by the tube (the last 12"). But the Tymco head, with it's blast orifice design, keeps the debri moving along the entire length of the head.

So if the "desert" surface your inquirer is talking about, is hard pack, without loose debri, a Tymco might work. If not, it's got to be hand-work :(

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Post by Dwan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:27 pm

There are litter pickers that are used on the east coast. Like we do with parking lots they do on the beaches every morning. As I understand it they are not really a sweeper but more of a rake that picks up the litter and places it on a conveyor then drops it into a hopper. Kind of like any mechanical sweeper except the sweep head is a slower turning rake head instead of a broom. The unit has high flotation tires for the sand. and they are fine tuned enough to pick up a cigarette butt.

Karl Stauty
Forum Administrator

Post by Karl Stauty » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:51 am

Living of the east coast we have a lot of local beaches, contacted some local cities to see waht type of equipment that they are using. Below ia a list of web sites that mfg. beach / sand cleaning equipment.

www.hbarber.com
www.beach-tech.com
www.cherrington.com

Hope this help!

TheRoadCleaners
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: How best to clean desert sand after large event?

Post by TheRoadCleaners » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 am

I think you should contact to your local professionals. They had large equipments which make your work easy and fast. I always do that. My first experience was wonderful and I am very satisfied customer.

Return to “Beach/Sand Sweepers”