Selling Techniques

Forum for anything to do with sales and marketing issues.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

sunandsnow

Selling Techniques

Postby sunandsnow » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:22 pm

Do you all cold call on property managers for new lots? If so what is your pitch. I am having a hard time getting customers to even contemplate switching contractors. How do you get their attention?

Dwan
Forum Administrator
Anti-Spam Number: 1

Postby Dwan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:50 pm

I take my brightly lettered sweeper and park it in there lot and shop at ther business as often as possable. They call me.

sunandsnow

Postby sunandsnow » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:19 pm

Your kidding right...? You mean you actually just shop where you want to sweep and they just happen to see your truck and call?

With average shopping times these days being very minimal, and most management companies being off site, how can one expect the "right person to see your truck at the right time.

Please tell me more because if this is really how it works I am going to sell my pick up and start driving the truck everywhere starting tomorrow.

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:01 pm

I do drive my sweeper everyware I go. The Aircub gets better millage then my trucks. and yes that is the way it works for me here. most all the management offices are in the complexis I want to work for or at least the store manager is. I have always found my equipment has been my best advertising.
Now down in the real world ware you live this will not work everyware. If I were in the real world I would watch the lots I wanted to have on a contract to see how there been done now and see what I could do to improve on that service. One thing I would never do is offer to do it for a cheaper price. NEVER. You might offer to do it more offten or do hand labor (blower, pickup litter, etc.) but charge acordingly.
I do offer more then just sweeping so it gives me a large advantage over the sweeping only contractor.
I do have 2 malls here that I have been trying to get on a weekly contract but just cant seem to get them to give it a try. i have offered to sweep them both free for 1 month so they could see the differance but I think they are just to cheep.
One thing Ihave forun is most localy owned places don't have a line item on there budget for parkinglot sweeping on a regular basses but national ferms like Safeway, Costco, Fredmeyer, K-Mart, Wally World and the like fallow the same budjet and have sweeping already in there budget.
If you have a place in mind and can go there when it is dirty. Take your sweeper and go see the manager. have him come out and show him what you can do. Selling your service is not an easy job but is a major part of running your business. If all we had to do was sweep lots everybody would be doing it. Good luck and if there is anything I can help you with you can e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Dwan

sunandsnow

Postby sunandsnow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to make an apointment to get the truck lettered. You make a great point about not lowering the price. My problem now is that our competitor is just whoring jobs out. He has been around forever and keeps his prices very very low... likewise he is not known for quality service. However getting the locals here to understand this is very difficult.

Dwan
Forum Administrator

Postby Dwan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:19 pm

I have found that some propertys don't care about the quality of service they get, all they care about is the bottem line. I personaly do not like my name asssoiated with that type or work and have told that to 2 of my customers and they liked the idea that I cared about there jobs enough to say so. Last year I tookover 1 of thoes jobs because I told the manager I wanted his lot to look better then it has in the past, partly because this is my town and I did not like the way his lot represented it. I got the job well standing there. One thing I have always done is given a little more then I get paid for. always go the extra inch.

Here is a picture of my Aircub and the lettering
http://twhall.net/t%20w%20aircub.gif

danielg86
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Selling Techniques

Postby danielg86 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:22 pm

I find this posting very interesting. I come from a sales background and I've been trying to develop a sales process, which is something I don't think many sweeping companies put a lot of attention to. I've tested the waters a bit, and it seems that every competitor I call is only interested in offering you a quote, and there is no real model for creating opportunity where there may not have been one.

I think the question at the root of this discussion is: how do you develop sales opportunities when customers have latent needs and are not actively looking for sweeping service?

I've been stumped on how to motivate or pique interest for people with latent needs, but I have roughly worked out a process to gain a little more commitment from prospects who call looking for a quote. Before we get into what I've come up with I recommend checking out Question Based Selling by Thomas A Freese and also Spin Selling by Niel Rackham. These two books catapulted me in my understanding of sales and my sales career before I even considered a parking lot sweeping business. Check out what I've come up with below.

Sales Model- Pre Presentation - The first portion of the sales model is based on 3 things; 1-Making prospects curious, 2-establishing your credibility, and 3-uncovering needs that will fuel your prospects sense of urgency.

1. can be accomplished as easily as: If I can show you how to improve the experience your customer has with your store, and improve their perception of shopping there would that be worth a 5 minute conversation? (what is the sensible answer to that question?)

2. First assume as a seller you start with zero credibility, it has to be earned. you can leverage current relationships to do that, e.g. referrals, references etc. Credibility can also be gained through the scope, focus, and disposition of the questions you ask. e.g. How do you think the appearance of your parking lot plays a role in the perception your customers have of your store/property? How important is having your customer's first impression be a positive one? What are the implications of your customer having a negative first impression when pulling into the parking lot?

3. Uncovering needs that can drive a desire to purchase/switch contractors. e.g What could your current contractor do to improve how your customer feel about shopping at your store? Then take the answer to that question and leverage into presenting a proposal to the decision maker e.g. If I could show you how we could consistently solve that problem would you entertain a proposal so we could show you how? This is how to secure a commitment for the proposal.

I've been playing around with this for sometime, what I'm having trouble identifying what is an interest piquing question that can initiate this line of questioning on a cold call. Any idea's? let me know.

The rest of the sales process is basically presenting the proposal, which is probably the simplest part of the process, and then closing the deal.

danielg86
Anti-Spam Number: 3

Re: Selling Techniques

Postby danielg86 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am

A snipet of an interesting article on sales I found. The author at bnet has credit for writing this.

A persuasive presentation therefore changes the emotional state of the audience so that they believe and feel that a decision must be made… right now.

In business there are six emotional keys that unlock that all-important decision-making process. They are:

* Key #1: Greed. “If we make a decision now, we’ll get a big reward.”
* Key #2: Fear. “If we don’t make a decision now, we’re basically toast.”
* Key #3: Altruism. “If we make a decision now, we’re good people.”
* Key #4: Envy. “If we don’t make a decision now, the other guys will win.”
* Key #5: Pride. “If we make a decision now, they’ll know we’re smart.”
* Key #6: Shame: “If we don’t make a decision now, they’ll know we’re dumb.”

Truly persuasive presentations contain all six of those emotional keys, because it is only under the pressure of these emotion that any decision will be made.

The underlying drivers behind these emotions are, of course, pain and pleasure. Truly persuasive presentations play upon the six key emotions to:

* RAISE the likelihood of pain and LOWER the likelihood of pleasure if a decision IS NOT made.
* RAISE the likelihood of pleasure and LOWER the likelihood of pain if a decision IS made.

Return to “Selling Your Services”