What has worked for me

Ideas and discussions on how to best bid sweeping jobs.

Moderators: Dwan, Karl Stauty, Tom_in_CA

What has worked for me

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:11 am

I am sure everyone has different methods for placing a bid for shopping center sweeping.

One effective way I have found to place the bid is not by sweeps per month or by night, but by using a formulation based upon the gross leaseable area of the center.

The example would be as follows,

Say the shopping center has 175,000 square feet of gross leasable area.
The shopping center owner probably operates on a budget using the term known as CAM, or Common Area Maintenance, which usually is an addendum to the basic rent charged to individual tennants of a shopping center.

That cam rate can be any amount, and out of that cam rate, all repairs, maintenance, lighting, etc. must be paid for by the manager of the shopping center.

I have determined what my charge for sweeping and all associated expenses such as insurance, labor, fuel, maintenance of equipment, office expenses, etc. are.

I have found that my operation requires a charge of .23 cents cam.

In other words, I can sweep and maintain a center for .23 x 175,000 sq.ft.
per year, or $40,250.00 per year payable in monthly payments of $3,354.17 for cleaning every night, 7 days a week.

When dealing with a new client, all I need determine is the Gross Leaseable Area, or GLA, and multiply by my factor rate for CAM, and my bid is complete. All my charges remain equivelent from company to company, center to center. I have on some occassions had to alter this method somewhat to allow for unusual parking area, or garden areas to maintain.

The benifit that I have gained from using this method, is I talk the talk of the shopping center owner or manager, he understands my bid, and can quickly determine if it fits his budget, and if he can sell my rate to his tennants.

Just passing on this trick that has worked for me for over twentyfive years.

ranger
Site Admin

Would like more info

Postby ranger » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:04 pm

I'd like to talk to you on a confidential basis to learn more about this. I think it would make a good article. You wouldn't have to be identified, to protect your client, etc. Please send me an email with contact info. Thanks!

-Ranger Kidwell-Ross, editor

C.R.D

Postby C.R.D » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:30 am

This sounds like a wonderful idea if the manger wants you to sweep 7 nights a week.
If you must charge .23 cam, and the manager only wants the center done 2 nights a week, are you still charging $40,250.00 per year ?????

If so that comes out to $387.01 per sweep. :?

Return to “Bidding the Job”